Monday, December 20, 2010

Sacrificial Gifts

I'm not a deep thinker, and I'm certainly not qualified to teach anyone anything, but this just jumped out at me today. Not groundbreaking by any means, I'm sure.

People often quote Philippians 4:19 when someone they know is experiencing hardship:

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

But I've never heard anyone give the context when they offer this as comfort:

14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

Paul's reassuring the Philippians that God would supply their needs after they have given sacrificially to his ministry. No, we don't earn God's grace or favor, but he does expect us to give. Anything we have is part of "his riches" anyway. We worry about the future and hoard our money and resources, forgetting that he can easily provide more if we find ourselves in need. I think saving is wise and responsible, but we shouldn't do it out of a sense of fear that we won't have enough, or at the cost of keeping it from someone else who needs it more. Christ gave sacrificially. He gave his life.

I'm sure it's more complicated than that. I don't know. Just thinking about it today.

Oh yeah, I also tend to forget about that little "to God be the glory" part at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment