Wednesday, December 8, 2010

BBQ Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts

I don't remember where this recipe came from, but my dad used to make it a lot for parties and I got it from him. Easy appetizer that's super yummy. I can only make it when there's a party; otherwise I could literally eat the entire pan myself (well, maybe I'd give Damon a couple). That much bacon is probably not so good for you.

Barbeque Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts

2 cans whole water chestnuts (6-8 oz each)
1 lb. bacon
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. ketchup
a little mustard (dry or prepared)

Drain chestnuts. If some are large, you can cut in half. Cut bacon in quarters (though the next time I make this, I'll probably do thirds as quarters didn't wrap completely around the chestnuts). Wrap chestnuts with bacon pieces and place in 9x12 pan close together.

Aren't they cute?


Next, broil until bacon starts to brown and remove from oven. Insert toothpicks through bacon into chestnuts to hold together. Drain grease.

Mix ketchup, brown sugar and mustard together and spoon over chestnuts. Heat through in oven before serving.

Notes:
-to drain grease gently, tilt pan and dip out with spoon at one end.
-bacon may shrink a little in broiling. Toothpick together as best as you can.

Sorry I don't have a picture of them finished. They disappeared too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment