Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I've seen a lot of recipes on people's blogs lately, so I thought I'd add one. I love this one for fall (as well as pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, which I can't wait to make soon!). This recipe is from a friend, professor and poet, Julie Moore. I made it today because my in-laws are here, but Damon's dad can't eat it because he's allergic to soy. I didn't realize until after I had it mixed that vegetable oil is soybean oil (doh!). Daughter-in-law fail. Anyway, if you're not allergic to it, it's super tasty!

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
2 Tb. baking cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2-1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 cups (12 oz.) chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in oil, eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in zucchini. Pour into 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes (toothpick test).



Now I just need to figure out what to do with my leftover buttermilk - maybe scones!

3 comments:

  1. looks SUPER yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. may i have your father-in-law's piece please? this looks great... and i like to make zucchini bread anyway.. so adding chocolate would be brilliant!
    -jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't have buttermilk on hand and don't want to buy some for one recipe, you can add 1 tbls of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and you will get buttermilk! :) The picture of it looks fantastic, Kate!!

    ReplyDelete